CASN-RA acts as a research accelerator by creating opportunities for scholars interested in supply networks to forge new teams to pursue interesting and challenging research projects. While we expect our work to benefit practice, our focus is on developing the science of supply networks.
We meet once every two years in lovely Tempe, AZ and brainstorm for new research ideas. These ideas are then converted into manuscript outlines. When we break from the meeting, everyone is assigned to a research project. We usually create five to ten teams, each of which works on a project for two years until we meet again. These projects have been converted into published papers and funded proposals.
CASN-RA members have finished the following papers published since 2011.
- Dooley, K., Pathak, S., Kull, T., Johnson, J. Wu, Z. and Rabinovich, E., “Process Network Modularity, Commonality, and Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” Journal of Operations Management, 2018.
- Giannoccaro, I., Nair, A., and Choi, T., “The Impact of Control and Complexity on Supply Network Performance: An Empirically Informed Investigation Using NK Simulation Analysis,” Decision Sciences, 2018.
- Kauffman, S., Pathak, S., Sen, P.K., and Choi, T., “Jury Rigging and Supply Network Design: Evolutionary Tinkering in the Presence of Unknown-Unknowns,” Journal of Supply Chain Management, 54,1, 2018, pp. 51-63.
- Nair, A., Yan, T., Ro, Y., Oke, A., Chiles, T., and Lee, S., “How Environmental Innovations Emerge and Proliferate in Supply Networks: A Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective,” Journal of Supply Chain Management, 52, 2, 2016, pp. 66-86.
- Kim, Y., Chen, Y., and Linderman, K., “Supply Network Disruption and Resilience: A Network Structural Perspective,” Journal of Operations Management, 2015, 33-34, pp. 43-59.
- Skilton, P. and Bernardes, E., “Competition Network Structure and Product Market Entry,” Strategic Management Journal, 2015, 36, pp. 1688-1696.
- Novak, D.C. and Choi, T.Y., “The Role of Geography in Shaping SCM’s Professional Identity,” Journal of Business Logistics, 36, 2, 2015, pp. 231-232.
- Sawaya, W., Pathak, S., Day, J., and Kristal, M., “Sensing Abnormal Resource Flow Using Adaptive Limit Process Charts in a Complex Supply Network,” Decision Sciences, 2015, 46, 5, pp. 961-979.
- Day, J., “Fostering Emergent Resilience: The Complex Adaptive Supply Network of Disaster Relief,” International Journal of Production Research, 2014, 52, 7, pp. 1970-1988.
- Pathak S.D., Wu H., and Johnston D.A., “Toward a Structural View of Co-opetition in Supply Networks.” Journal of Operations Management, 32, 5, 2014, pp. 254-267.
The following manuscripts by our members are currently under review:
- Skilton, P., Bernardes, E., Lee, M., and Creek, S., “Imitation, Innovation, and Position in Alliance and Competition Networks,” Under review at Organization Science.
- Li, M., Bernardes, E., Giannoccaro, I., and Skilton, P., “Something’s Gotta Give: A Complex Adaptive System View of Financial Squeeze on Supply Network Structure, Value Creation and Value capture.” Under review at Journal of Operations Management.
CASN-RA members have contributed the following conference presentations and sessions:
- Pathak, S., Mackenzie, C., Kull, T., Rabonovich, E., Dooley, K., and Wu, Z. (2011). The missing link: Connecting the structures of products technological process networks to their environmental performance, Decision Sciences Conference, Boston, MA.
- Chiles, T.H., Nair, A., Oke, A., Ro, Y.K., and Yan, T. (2011). Emerging capabilities in sustainable supply networks: A process theory, The 42nd Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Boston, MA. (authors listed alphabetically).
- Sawaya W.J., Pathak S.D., Day J., and Kristal M. (2011). Utilizing adaptive limit control charts to identify significant events in supply networks. Production and Operations Management Society Annual meeting, Reno, NV.
- Pathak, S.D., Blackhurst, J., Sen, P.K., and Jayaram, J. (2013). Preemptive resilience: Monitoring financial health of a supply base. Decision Science Annual Meeting, Baltimore MD.
- Pathak, S.D., Wu, Z., and Johnston D. (2013). A theory of coopetition of supply networks. Production and Operations Management Society Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Pathak, S.D. (2014). At the interface of marketing and manufacturing: Diffusion of innovation in a capacity-constrained world. Decision Sciences annual meeting, Tampa, FL.
- Rossetti, C. and Handfield, R. (2015). Research productivity in a simulated pharmaceutical supply network, Production and Operations Management Society Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Bernardes, E., Li, M., Giannoccaro, I., and Skilton, P. (2016). To compress, or not to compress the supply network, 25th Annual IPSERA Conference, Fraunhofer Institute for Material Flow and Logistics, Dortmund, Germany.
- Akkermans, H., Bhakoo, V., Carnovale, S., and Rossetti, C. (2016). Bagging grey swans: A supply network approach to identifying and managing low-probability high-impact supply chain events, 2016 EurOMA Conference Proceedings, Trondheim, Norway.